The Foreign & Commonwealth Office and National Travel Health Network and Centre have up-to-date advice on staying safe and healthy abroad.
For the latest travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office including security and local laws, plus passport and visa information check www.gov.uk/travelaware and follow @FCOtraveland Facebook.com/FCOtravelKeep informed of current travel health news by visiting www.travelhealthpro.org.uk
The advice can change so check regularly for updates.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office also provides the following advice:
- Take out appropriate travel insurance before travelling and make sure it covers you for all the activities you want to do.
- If you are travelling within Europe, ensure you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) that hasn’t expired and understand what it covers -you still need full travel insurance though! For your free EHIC card visit www.nhs.uk/ehic
- Learn about the laws, customs and entry requirements of the country you’re visiting and understand how they differ from home,check www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
- Check your passport is valid, fill out the emergency details, look after it while travelling and keep it in a safe place
- Make sure you have all necessary visas
- Make copies of important travel documents, take a picture or make copies and store them securely using a secure data storage site
- Research vaccinations or any other medical requirements for your destination, and if necessary visit a travel health clinic before you travel. For medical advice visit travelhealthpro.org.uk
- Tell your friends or family about your travel plans and where you’re going and leave emergency contact details
- Take enough money with you and have access to emergency funds.
- Ensure you take the contact details of the local British Consulate in case of emergencies – www.gov.uk/government/world/embassies
- Understand what consular staff can and can’t do to help British nationals travelling overseas, check www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide
- Act responsibly, and be responsible for yourself when abroad.